Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Thursday, February 26, 2004

Movie binge

We rented Whale Rider for the girls and watched it last night. We had seen it in the theatre, but they enjoyed it so much they've been begging for it again. I'm rooting for Keisha Castle-Hughes as best actress this year.

G also brought home To Kill A Mockingbird, which I was hoping to have them read first, but it's one of his favorite movies, so I guess we'll give it a go.

Two nights ago, the girls and I watched Shakespeare in Love. I'd seen it in the theatre with my friend Alex a few years back on an earlier movie binge. G can't stand sitting still for more than hour, so Alex and I would head out for a midnight movie after G and the girls were all tucked in and sound asleep. I wasn't really impressed with it at the time, I thought Elizabeth was more Oscar worthy, but this time I appreciated it so much more. I knew it was rated R, but couldn't remember why. Oops. Thank goodness the girls seemed nonplussed by the sex scenes. Aside from the acting which was very good, I'd just finally finished an article on Miramax and Bob and Harvey Weinstein (in Vanity Fair, maybe?), so watching it with an eye toward contracts and production negotiations was additionally entertaining. I'd forgotten Ben Affleck was in this, and his and Matt Damon's experience with the Weinsteins reminded me that I need to also see Good Will Hunting, but alas, our rinky-dink video shop doesn't have it. Instead I picked up The Shawshank Redemption.

That should keep me busy for awhile.

No comments: