Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Sunday, August 29, 2004

Crappy Birthday To You

S wanted to see Princess Diaries II - The Engagement with a few friends for her birthday. With a carload of girls, I set out for the mall in Port Charlotte, site of the only multiplex for miles, and learned, upon arrival at 6:05, that the mall will be closing at 6:00 PM until further notice because of a hurricane induced curfew. Do we head north to Sarasota (45+ minutes) or south to Ft. Myers (45+ minutes)? As I drove north, trying to find the closest movie house by bugging various 411 operators, we realized we would not have sufficient time to see a movie in either location and return to the Punta Gorda house before the 9:00 curfew went into effect.

I thought maybe we'll just get a bite to eat and try the movie earlier the following day. By now it was 7:35 PM. Carrabba's and Outback were still closed from the storm. TGI Friday's, Chili's, Red Lobster, even, I hate to admit it, Hooters, all had their last seating at 7:30 PM to get their employees out and home by curfew. The only other place in town that was still open was Arby's. Fake roastbeef sandwiches for all. Whoopee.

S, ever the good sport, was happy enough to crack open a pack of our hurricane supply Oreos when we got home (at 9:05 PM -- ha!) And we did make the matinee the next day.

-------

Darby passed this fun site on survival knowledge along. My score? I survived, probably maimed though.
Question 11, "You're driving in an isolated area and a tornado is coming straight at you. What would you do?" posed a problem for me in that it did not offer my first choice: Drive through it.

I was on my way over to the west coast, driving up US 27 through sugarcane country when I spotted a pretty big tornado miles away to the west. Another smaller funnel cloud dipped down immediately east of me. It seemed small enough to be considered just a dust devil in comparison to the other more menacing storm to the west. I watched in amazement as the whirlwind spun toward me through the canefield, across a dirt road, and figured it would sputter out when it reached the canal separating me from the fields. My ears popped, my Excursion was picked up, and gently set down in the next lane.

Yep, that was probably a pretty accurate assessment of my survival skills.

No comments: