Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

In spite of my love of spontaneity, or maybe to be more accurate I should say my ability to rapidly shrug off responsibility, I crave a schedule.

We were three weeks into my general school plan for the year when the rental became available and the drawn out process of moving began. Then Hurricane Charley and a two week period shuttling back and forth from Punta Gorda to the island. Then a visit from my cousin. Next, a visit to see my brother when he visits my parents this coming weekend, provided Hurricane Frances doesn't wipe out Fort Lauderdale, and a dental check-up for all three girls at our old east coast pediatric dentist on Tuesday, provided Frances doesn't hit Hollywood either.

Oh wait, that's technically a schedule, I guess what I mean is a routine; like the old Math, Spelling, History, Latin, Read-aloud Routine.

Tomorrow we will be attending our Punta Gorda homeschool group's first planned Park Day of the season. Meeting the first Wednesday of each month barely counts as a routine, but it's a start. I'm not currently a paying member, so I don't have access to the group's Yahoo list yet and hope that it is still on and that someone will actually show up. Last time I saw the playground, it looked to be in good shape and all the refrigerator trucks for the temporary morgue had gone.

------

Frances, another freakin' Category 4, has everybody on edge. East coast? West coast?! Wait and see... Looking at the "cone," which is what we're all anxiously and obsessively doing, it could strike anywhere from Cuba to North Carolina, or nowhere at all, just buzzing up the east coast. Could make landfall by Saturday, but they won't have any real accurate track until Friday. Not very reassuring, is it?

Carolyn wanted a taste of Real Florida. Be careful what you wish for.

No comments: