Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

And the winner is...

Henle.

For those of you interested, Henle appears to be a better follow up to Latina Christiana.

PROS

Henle's lessons are more incremental, sticking to one topic at a time. Henle's first lesson, on the first declension, only teaches vocabulary using first declension nouns, while Wheelock's covers first and second conjugations: present infinitive, indicative, and imperative active, and gives sentences to translate that contain words not included in the vocabulary but are introduced in footnotes. I think S would get frustrated even though she has already covered the topics.

Henle uses a more limited vocabulary. Maria orat. Nautae orant. Nauta orat. Nautae non orant. Vident. Nautae vident. Maria videt. Videt. Nautae non vident. Non orat. Ad nauseum. It works as a confidence booster.

Henle has an answer key. I do not have an answer key for Wheelock's. Answers are given in the back for some exercises, but not all. I also have the Wheelock workbook which is void of answers. Workbook questions are taken directly from the text, so presumably you could check back in the text for answers, but this does not satisfy my "ease of teaching" requirement.

CONS

Henle's lessons vary greatly in length, which makes planning a weekly schedule challenging. I have the First Year Henle study guide from Memoria Press which breaks the lessons down into five-day weekly lessons, but I don't think I'll bother using it as it progresses v-e-r-y slowly through material she's already learned.

It's very Catholic, although the religiousness seems to taper off a bit around Unit Four. Not a big problem for me, I was raised Catholic, it's just a bit tiresome.

No comments: