Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Mommy Mania

Over the last few months, I have read numerous articles describing, acknowledging, admitting, denying, placing blame, and mocking the big Mommy problem. I stand firmly in the mocking camp. Like you couldn't have guessed. It's all become very tiresome and there wasn't much chance I'd bother reading a whole parenting book about it.

Then I read "Marshal Plan" in the March issue of The Atlantic. There are a new batch of intriguing titles, The Three-Martini Playdate, Confessions of a Slacker Mom, and the one which has me kicking myself for not being, if not ahead of the trend, at least onboard, Cheap Psychological Tricks for Parents. My kind of titles, and some I may have to take a look at. Remember Brainwashing Techniques for Parents? That'll teach me.

My favorite part of Sandra Tsing Loh's artcle was her discovery of a very effective technique for stopping a screaming child, one that I myself have used on occasion. Give it right back to them. Scream at the temper tantrum thrower with the same volume and hysterical tone. Everyone will stop dead in their tracks. Then everyone will burst out laughing. Of course this is one you can't use very often as it's strength comes from the element of surprise, and one I wouldn't recommend for use out in public.

It's difficult being a trend setter.

No comments: