Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Friday, March 24, 2006

Discipline?

Etymology: Middle English, from Old French & Latin; Old French, from Latin disciplina teaching, learning, from discipulus pupil
1 : PUNISHMENT
2 obsolete : INSTRUCTION
3 : a field of study
4 : training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character
5 a : control gained by enforcing obedience or order b : orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior c : SELF-CONTROL
6 : a rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity


There's a difference between discipline and child abuse. The Pearls' version of training brings to mind someone tied to the tracks and being crushed by a locomotive.

I prefer not to be associated with anyone supporting or defending that behavior, so as soon as I can remember my damn log-in information I'm shutting down my other (inactive anyway, because I hardly have time for one) homeschoolblogger.com site.

As far as definition 6, "a rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity" goes, what's wrong with "Do Unto Others..."?

No comments: