Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Day After

Made it through Black Friday without a scratch. It's not something I'd ever feel the need to repeat again, that heading out at the crack of dawn, jockeying for parking spaces, fighting crowds for "doorbusters," waiting in lines, spending money. Well, maybe excepting a 5:00 AM trip to our local Home Depot a friend made for the $.99 poinsettias that she says they promote every year...that might have been worth it, but I'd rather just give her ten dollars next year and have her pick some up on my behalf.

I pulled into the parking lot of Bed, Bath and Beyond and called a friend who had posted on her Facebook page the night before looking for a shopping buddy to see where she was. She was still in bed. But she got right up when I told her where I was and met me very shortly afterward. She is a real shopper, likes to check all over, knows what and when the sales prices should be. I have my trusted favorites: Old Navy, Target, and Macy's (the trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond was a fruitless aberration and I'll never do that again), and go looking for specifics. I feel solidarity with the old men sitting around waiting for their wives outside the dressing rooms. Yesterday she stretched my comfort zone a little, making sure I checked for the twin duvets I wanted at Bells, Sears, and J.C. Penney's before Macy's, and we drifted into numerous other stores for gift ideas. I enlightened her a bit, showing her that bargains can still be had in the "fancier" stores, rivaling the deals in her "sensible" stores. Her son is into Hollister and Aeropostale so we dragged ourselves in there and discovered a great sale. I found a ridiculous hat Grice had been looking for and grabbed it. For all our hat hunting we'd never bothered going in there because along with Hollister, my older two girls can't stand their logo-emblazoned clothing. The hat was blissfully generic.

The best deal of the day though, was at the restaurant we stopped in for lunch: Free draft beer. As it was close enough to noon and we had already practically put in a full day, we felt we had earned it.

3 comments:

Becky said...

You are a brave, brave woman!

I discovered the "new" Bed, Bath & Beyond at Lincoln Center last month when we were here, and my poor country kids thought it's just the bee's knees, especially the wall of "as seen on TV" items lol. But we did walk right by it yesterday morning on the way home from the hospital, even if the sale did run for another few hours until 10 am.

Did take a walk later in the afternoon with my father to Whole Foods, where I was the one who felt like a country bumpkin. $10 for 30 oz. of mashed potatoes? And I had no idea that naturally colored, organic sprinkles for baking existed. Once again, I felt like a Russian in a shiny new American Safeway supermarket...

All I bought yesterday was a quart of buttermilk to make pancakes for breakfast this morning, though I think if I'd looked hard enough, I would have found ready-made Whole Food pancakes to heat up or at least some ready-made free range, organic batter. Just pour 'n' serve!

Becky said...

You are a brave, brave woman!

I discovered the "new" Bed, Bath & Beyond at Lincoln Center last month when we were here, and my poor country kids thought it's just the bee's knees, especially the wall of "as seen on TV" items lol. But we did walk right by it yesterday morning on the way home from the hospital, even if the sale did run for another few hours until 10 am.

Did take a walk later in the afternoon with my father to Whole Foods, where I was the one who felt like a country bumpkin. $10 for 30 oz. of mashed potatoes? And I had no idea that naturally colored, organic sprinkles for baking existed. Once again, I felt like a Russian in a shiny new American Safeway supermarket...

All I bought yesterday was a quart of buttermilk to make pancakes for breakfast this morning, though I think if I'd looked hard enough, I would have found ready-made Whole Food pancakes to heat up or at least some ready-made free range, organic batter. Just pour 'n' serve!

Maureen said...

I shopped online, if that counts. I was never into the Black Friday thing. Becky found a jacket she liked and I saw a long down coat so I bought her the jacket and myself the coat and it was shipped for free.
For me, in black:
http://www.aeropostale.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3697337
for her, in brown:
http://www.aeropostale.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3697335

Total for both $77 - how can you go wrong?