Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

A beautiful, sparkling day

We're on-island for a few days. Today was a marvelous day: cornflower blue sky, warm sun and the occasional cool puff of a breeze, just enough to rustle the sabal fronds. I love that sound. The girls alternated between playing outside and taking turns on the computer. Yes, taking turns, and with minimal input from me. I know, I know, it's probably just a phase they're going through, this being nice to each other, but I'll appreciate it no matter how short-lived it may be.

Tonight we nearly finished The Scarlet Letter. With three chapters to go and the story nearing its climax, I called it a night and readied them for bed, but they begged me to continue, so we squeezed in one more chapter before their little eyelids started drooping. I must say, this is not one of our easier read-alouds. Hawthorne's sentences can be very long and convoluted; the phrasing is hard to get right sometimes. I am so amazed that they are actually enjoying the story.

The winds are picking up and the sound of rustling palms is making me sleepy.

No comments: