Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Monday, January 26, 2004

I'm back in the saddle again...

Today was the kind of day you hope for as a homeschooler. Last night the kids were reminded that today meant back to business and this morning, bright and early, without a warning or threat from me, everyone was up, washed, dressed, fed, books out and studying away. Awesome! Yes, today, I was The Perfect Homeschooler. Except it was a chicken and some Boca Chick'n patties roasting away. The best part was that their father got to see it before he headed out this morning. Imagine that.

(Looking at that LAF website, I'm not sure if it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek. It definitely cracked me up. C'mon, with an acronym like that?!)

We got through all subjects in a matter of hours. G and S took to the new, more rigorous notetaking I proposed, without complaint. G even seemed to enjoy taking charge of her own work, rather than doing dictation. We began reading Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress, and after completing the one chapter I'd planned for, they begged for two more. After dinner we launched into the first three chapters of The Three Musketeers and G had to hear the next chapter of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. With those, and all the little books the baby kept passing me throughout the day (I even managed NOT to neglect her), I'm pretty much all talked out.

G picked up The Courage of Sarah Noble and is racing through it. She's a tough one. It's always tricky finding a book that matches her ability and interests, but this looks to be a good one. S picked up The Hobbit and started to read it this afternoon, in spite of me trying to dissuade her, because, Confession Time, I myself, have never read it (I can hear your sharp intake of breath) and unless we do it as a read aloud, I'm afraid I'll never get through it and the Rings books. (We haven't seen the movies either, as we were waiting to read the books first, and I'm worried now because I've been told to see it on the big screen, not on DVD. I know it makes a big difference. What's a girl to do?)

I am hoping today was not just a fluke.

------------------

How happy is he born and taught,
That serveth not another's will;
Whose armour is his honest thought,
And simple truth his utmost skill!

---Sir Henry Wotton

-------------------

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.

---Eleanor Roosevelt

(That's my personal yardstick. So far my average is, well, Average...)

No comments: