Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Friday, January 23, 2004

The Passion of the Christ

I am so looking forward to seeing this. Not because I'm a particularly religious person, but because:

1) All the reviews I've read so far seem to agree that this is a masterpiece. From the casting and acting, to the cinematography and direction.

2) It's been labeled 'controversial.' If it supposedly follows the gospel, where's the controversy?

3) It's a big one. G is not a movie fan. He can't bear sitting still for so long, so he'll only voluntarily go see the really big, arty, Oscar/International Film Festival award candidates. I'll get a night out.

4) Mel Gibson, Director. We're big fans of Braveheart here.

Will I take the girls? Hmmmmm. Not L for sure, but probably the two older girls, although, I may preview it. They've enjoyed movies with 'grown-up' themes before ("Life Is Beautiful", "Braveheart", "Whale Rider", among others) and seem able to understand the concepts and discuss them in a fairly mature way. As for violence, we're realists. If it's in a historical context, okay. Gratuitous, no. (I guess that justifies watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" for our Medieval studies, right?!)

I know some people will disagree and feel that children should always be sheltered from the uglier things in life; that they will learn soon enough how violent life can be, but hey, we live in South Florida.

Just kidding, sort of... We've been in a restaurant where guns were pulled during an argument (over someone cutting in the pony ride line, no less); lost a few friends to murders; been burglarized, twice; had a homicide victim turn up in our front yard... I could go on, but I think you get the point: My kids have already had their eyes opened to the harsher realities of life.

This story has so much meaning, for so many people, and the violence is an integral part. Believer or not, I think it's important to see it, and let them see it as well. The Passion of the Christ.