Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

Don't get me started...

Maitresse's blog entry for today (plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose*) brought up a few separate topics that taken together, get me all worked up: Cuba and Haiti.

I was going to email her, but figured I'd share my rant on gross injustice with you all.

First let me tell you, your South Florida experience just isn't complete until you've seen a boatload of refugees wash up on the beach. I witnessed a large group of Haitians leaping off a small cabin cruiser onto Fort Lauderdale Beach one morning. People with clothes and shoes held high over their heads as they scrambled for the beach, then dressing themselves as they ran for their life. Just another day in paradise.

How can our government honestly say that these people are only economic refugees and thus deserve to be repatriated? Especially in light of the recent political turmoil. Only there, it's not just recent, it's constant.

I try to adhere to that old Yankee quip: Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. I have outfits that all three girls have been through, and by the time L finishes with them, they are really done. Once upon a time I would have dropped everything in reasonable condition off at Goodwill, but lately the clothing has been in such bad shape that would have been insulting. Not to G's Haitian employees. Initially I was embarrassed to hand the bags over to them, but G promised me they would appreciate it all. And they do. How sad.

The Cubans are allowed to remain here in the US, if they physically make it to shore. How ridiculous is that? Oops, interdicted at sea, sorry guys, better luck next time. Either let them in, or don't. But don't make it a game where they're safe if they tag home plate. At least they stand a chance.

And the bogus embargo? Friends sailed over and spent last New Year's Eve in Havana and then went on a week long art spree. Can't you get in trouble for that? Nah. Engine trouble (wink, wink, nudge, nudge.) By the time the Coast Guard got around to checking up on them in their home port, the coast was clear, so to speak.

Maybe it's just me, but isn't this just blatant racism?

With thoughts wafting around my head like the smoke of a Cohiba, I'll leave you with this.

No comments: