Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I caved

Yes, this self-professed secular home educator has gone and done it. I've ordered Rod & Staff English. My reasoning, or justification, or excuse, whichever way you look at it, is that it's very thorough, it's an all-in-one package, and it finally has SWB's imprimatur. I'd been on the fence until now.

We use a combination of Easy Grammar and Daily Grams, Write With the Best, and The First Book of Diagramming. Plans were to move on into Harvey's when we wrapped up Easy Grammar. I like all these books and the girls are doing just fine with them. So what's the problem? When I sat down last night to hash out our new weekly schedule, it seemed too much. Trying to coordinate and balance all these various English texts made the schedule look overwhelming. If I thought so, I can only imagine what the kids would think.

So, in order to accommodate an increased attention to the arts and science, we're simplifying our English studies.

From what I have seen of samples, it doesn't have that in-your-face ABeka religious slant. It looks like a very sweet, old-fashioned book. The biblical references we can treat as literature, and I have no problem with promoting virtues (well, as far as raising my children anyway.)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No comments: