Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

G found out the U-Haul truck had a large chunk of the top missing after he drove across the state in an hours-long thunderstorm. Then he lost a day and a half arguing with U-Haul's customer service. There's an oxymoron. We are anticipating his arrival maybe later this afternoon.

After shuffling our stuff around the last three years or so, he was disheartened to see the condition it's in. Dismal, disappointing, discouraging, and we still have to haul it up a huge flight of stairs at the rental, and eventually, down again, into a permanent place.
My grandfather told me, "Three moves equals one fire."

Three priceless possessions I will be most relieved to have out of storage, assuming the rats, moths, and bumbling movers haven't destroyed them:

-- My great-grandmother's custom handpainted Bavarian china

-- a very old handmade flip doll (white girl/black girl), the beloved toy of an old spinster friend of my mother's, given to me when I was a child. I'm ready to donate her to a museum for my own peace of mind.

-- Our king-sized Tempurpedic bed

The rest of it can probably go in a dumpster. Well, maybe not the kids' toys. And the dive gear. And...


Well I'm gonna to go then. And I don't need any of this. I don't need this
stuff, and I don't need you. I don't need anything except this
[picks up an
ashtray]
and that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't
need this or this. Just this ashtray. And this paddle game, the ashtray and the
paddle game and that's all I need. And this remote control. The ashtray, the
paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need. And these matches.
The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. And
this lamp. The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and
that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not
one - I need this. The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and
the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote
control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.
-- Navin R. Johnson

We're awaiting the first set of classic Netflix movies from our free trial membership: Mutiny on the Bounty, Great Expectations, and The Jerk.

No comments: