Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Mystery Solved!

The book, Democracy and the Ethical Life: A Philosophy of Politics and Community, finally turned up. It was knocked off my bedside chest of drawers and wedged almost invisibly between the cabinet and the wall. I'm going to blame the dogs and their high-impact tail-wagging morning greetings for that one.

I decided to take a closer look at the book, democracy and ethics being two subjects I am generally interested in (but never having ever found a specific book tying them together so blatantly.) Right on the very first page were several words underlined in pen. This was clearly not one of my books. I checked reviews on Amazon.com to try and get an idea of what the author was proposing and where he was coming from and was left scratching my head.

When Jorge came home I asked him if he'd ever seen the book before. Why, yes, he had. Our nephew, the one who accused Jorge of being an evolutionist, oh, so long ago, had given it to Jorge to read after finishing a thesis for a class at his Christian college. I asked if I could add it to the next collection of books being donated but Jorge insisted on keeping it, claiming he will read it one day to indulge his nephew, though I suspect his reasons are merely sentimental.

No comments: