Looking For a Secular Florida Umbrella School?

Saturday, January 31, 2004

Why blog?

Hmmm. I'll get right to the point. I think blogging, specifically this kind of journal blogging, is for needy people. Like people who have bumperstickers. They're looking to make a statement about who they are, to be noticed, to make a friend.

So, on some level, I'm needy (but not so needy to have any bumperstickers on my vehicle.) I need to know that there are other people like me out there. Not just necessarily homeschoolers, but people who can see the absurdities of our daily lives. My premise for this blog, when I began, was a homeschooling journal of sorts, but, our whole life is homeschooling, and my homeschooling philosophy (since I now have one) is to foster independence and point out life's absurdities to my little darlings, therefore, I believe this blog may take a somewhat new direction...

I've tried to write cutesy stories about the kids, serious social commentary, witty banter, inspirational thoughts, angst-ridden confessions, and I certainly admire those of you out there who do that, and I enjoy reading many of these type blogs, but that's not exactly my style. Re-reading some of my posts, I sound like I'm trying to take the high road, which is a noble thing, but not my thing. I think now it's time to let loose and tell you what I really think.

You may find it sophomoric, petty, or bitter. So? I'm going to write as though I were discussing my life with my most black-hearted friends (A, whose true calling in life is to be an environmental terrorist, when she's not being Anna Karenina, that is; and my dear cousin C, a nurse with a cruel sense of humor.) They're the ones who inspire and provoke me.

I will call a spade, a spade.

I will keep in mind one of my favorite quotes, Eleanor Roosevelt's, "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people," but I'm not promising to live up to those standards. It should count though, that as I'm discussing people and events, my discussions will focus on the central idea that we live in an absurd society.

No comments: